The K2 Base Camp Trek is a challenging and rewarding trek that takes visitors to the base camp of the world’s second highest mountain, K2. The trek is a strenuous and physically demanding journey that takes place in the remote and rugged region of the Karakoram mountain range in Pakistan, starting in Skardu. It takes around 8 to 10 days to reach the base camp, depending on the route and pace of the trekkers.
The trek offers a chance to see the mountain up close, take in breathtaking views of the surrounding peaks and experience local culture. It is considered challenging due to altitude and rugged terrain and requires a good level of fitness. Trekkers should also be prepared for the effects of altitude sickness.
- Trek to the world-famous K2 Base Camp
- Enjoy the amazing view of the mighty K2 from base camp
- Travel through Skardu, Askole, Paiju, Gondogoro la and Biafo Glacier
- Visit the world's most rugged and remote "Karakoram" mountain range in Pakistan
From Concordia, if you want to go back to Skardu we will go to Urdukas. If you are interested in Gondogoro La, we will change the route and go to Ali Camp.
For the Gondogoro La trek please check our K2 base camp and Gondogoro La trek.
The Cost Includes
- Pick-up or Drop-off service from and to Airport(in our own vehicle)
- Transportation to and from!!
- Food all along the trip(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and a cup of coffee or tea) and accommodations during the trip in hotels with family environment
- Transportation, food, accommodation and insurance of Guide during the trip
- First Aid Medical Kit(Your guide will carry the Medical Kit but we also advise you to bring yourself for your own use, as far as possible)
- All the required permits and paperwork
- (The services included in this trip are peak royalty fees, hotels for stays in Islamabad, Chilas, and Skardu with meals provided, air-conditioned van transportation, flight tickets, jeep transport, trekking and base camp food, porters for carrying personal gear, staffs including a guide, cook, and assistance cook, camping equipment, kitchen utensils, and general services such as tips and fees.)
- In any emergency situation where helicopter assistance is needed, the company will arrange it however the client has to pay the charges
The Cost Excludes
- International Airfare
- Visa Charges
- Personal Expenses such as shopping, bar bills, hot shower, telephone, laundry, titbits etc
- Services not mentioned or not promised by the agent/agency
- Emergency expenses such as expenses on chartered helicopter.
- Down jacket, all-season sleeping bag, duffel bag and trekking map(in case if you don’t have your own. Down jacket, sleeping bag and duffel bag must be returned after completion of the trip)
The K2 Base Camp Trek is considered a challenging trek that requires a good level of fitness. The trek is physically demanding and takes place at high altitude, so it is important to be in good physical shape before embarking on the trek.
To prepare for the trek, it is recommended to engage in regular cardiovascular and strength-training exercises, such as running, cycling, or hiking. It is also important to build up endurance by gradually increasing the intensity and duration of your training.
During the trek, you will be carrying a backpack and trekking for several hours a day at high altitude. This requires a good level of fitness and a strong cardiovascular system. Additionally, trekkers should be prepared to walk on uneven terrain, which may include steep inclines, rocky paths, and loose gravel.
The duration of the daily walk during the K2 Base Camp Trek can vary depending on the route, the pace of the trekkers, and the altitude. Typically, the trek takes around 8 to 10 days, and trekkers can expect to walk for several hours each day.
On average, the daily walking distance can be between 5 to 8 hours, and the distance covered can range between 10 to 20 kilometers per day. The first few days of the trek may be shorter and less strenuous, while the last few days can be longer and more challenging, as trekkers approach the base camp of K2.
The highest altitude reached in the K2 Base Camp Trek is the base camp of K2 which is located at an altitude of 5,150 meters.
Yes. The Internet can be accessed in most places. Sometimes, there might be some technical problems. The Internet in Pakistan is not as fast as you are used to and at times you can just lose connection.
It is not strictly necessary to hire a guide or a trekking agency for the K2 Base Camp Trek, but it is highly recommended. The trek takes place in a remote and rugged region, and it can be challenging to navigate without proper experience and knowledge of the area.
A guide or a trekking agency can provide valuable information and support during the trek, such as:
Knowledge of the best routes to take, as well as knowledge of the local culture and customs.
Assistance in obtaining permits and visas, as well as arranging transportation and accommodation.
Assistance with equipment and supplies, such as providing porters, mules, or other support animals to help carry equipment.
Knowledge of the weather and mountain conditions, and the ability to adjust the itinerary accordingly.
Knowledge of first aid and emergency procedures, and the ability to handle medical emergencies.
An experienced guide can provide guidance and support on how to avoid and handle altitude sickness.
Hiring a guide or a trekking agency also helps support the local economy and ensuring fair and responsible tourism.
In conclusion, while it is possible to trek the K2 Base Camp without a guide or a trekking agency, it is highly recommended to hire one. A guide or a trekking agency can provide valuable information and support, as well as assistance with permits, transportation, accommodation, and equipment. They also have the knowledge of the local culture and customs, and can help to avoid and handle altitude sickness and other possible hazards.
The cost of hiring a guide and porters for the K2 Base Camp Trek can vary depending on the trekking agency, the duration of the trek, and the number of people in the group.
On average, hiring a guide for the K2 Base Camp Trek can cost anywhere from $30 to $50 per day. The cost of hiring a porter can also vary, but it can be around $15 to $20 per day. Keep in mind that these prices can vary depending on the agency, and it’s always a good idea to check with multiple agencies to compare prices and services.
Additionally, it’s important to be aware that it’s a common practice to tip the guide and porter at the end of the trek, as it’s considered a way to show appreciation for their hard work and dedication. The amount of the tip is usually based on the individual’s discretion and the level of service provided.